This story is part 12 days of advicehelping you get the most out of your tech, your home and your health this holiday season.
Got a new Google Home smart speaker as a gift this holiday season? If so, there are a few settings you might want to change right out of the box. The Google Home speaker is only useful if you make it useful, and certain settings can make or break your experience.
For example, Google Home speakers try to trick you into subscribing to a file Google Duo phone number when adding a device, but did you know you can turn your Google Home into a speakerphone with your primary phone number, even if you’re using an iPhone?
This is just one of the many cool features you can set up on your Google Home device. We’ll show you how to set this up, along with four other settings you should update today. To learn more about smart devices, see How much will a Google smart home cost you? and the The best tech to pair with your new Google Home speaker.
1. Get notified when someone joins your Google Home group
You say, “I am the only person in my house. “Why do I want to be notified if someone joins my Google Home group?” ” Precisely because You are the only one who should be allowed to use it, for this reason.
This setting isn’t just about notifying you of changes, it’s just about security. If your Google Account has been hacked or otherwise compromised, one of the warning signs could be an unauthorized user or device being added to your Google Home group.
To receive these notifications:
1. open the Google Home app and press settingsthen less general faucet opinion.
2. If your phone is not configured to allow notifications from Google Home, follow the instructions that indicate so Click here to enable it in settings.
3. Tap on General Notifications and toggle on the first option, people and devices. If you want to receive push notification ads, change Product Updates As well.
2. Adjust your Google Home privacy settings
It’s also important to adjust the privacy settings in the Google Home app. We got it all figured out A guide to Google Home security features here. If you’re familiar with these security settings but just want to freshen things up a bit, here’s how to access the personal data portal:
1. open the Google Home app and press personal code (It can be your photo or a silhouette) in the top right corner.
2. Choose You in the top menu bar, then click Your data in the assistant.
3. Make calls using your Google Home device
Hands-free calling is one of the best features of Google Home, but it won’t work the way you want it to unless you set it up correctly. To make sure Google Home shows your primary phone number when it’s used to make a call, follow these steps:
1. open the Google Home app and press settings.
2. Scroll down to see Google Assistant Services, then faucet Audio and video calls.
3. manipulate Mobile coordinates. If you haven’t set it up yet, tap your own number Then press Add or edit a phone number.
4. Google will send verification code for your phone, which you will need to enter on the next screen.
5. Once you have linked your phone number, make sure Your number has been identified under your associated services.
6. under contactsfaucet Download now To sync your phone contacts.
Now all you have to do to make calls with Google Home is call the Google Assistant (“OK, Google” or “Hey, Google”) and say, “Call [contact name]. ”
4. Change your username on Google Home
My Google Home is currently set to call me Sergeant Pepper for no reason other than the fact that I received a package from my digital assistant that identifies me as a Beatles album. You can ask yourself whatever you want. Note, however, that you may need to spell it phonetically. To teach Google Home your nickname:
1. open the Google Home app and press settingsthen scroll down and tap More settings.
2. under Youfaucet nickname Then under What should the assistant call you? Type the alias you want it to use.
3. Press He plays To hear how the Google Assistant will say your name. If it’s not pronounced correctly, change the spelling until it is.
And yes, you can make it a curse.
5. Create a set of speakers to maximize your musical enjoyment
Not only do Google Home speakers sound great on their own, they get even better when you double, double, or quadruple them. In fact, you can add multiple speakers in your home to a speaker pool. We have step-by-step instructions on how to use Google Home in your home. Build a complete audio system hereBut here is the simplified version:
1. open the Google Home app and press + (plus sign) in the upper left corner.
2. Click Create Speaker Group, select the speakers you want to include, then click Following.
3. under Label this stakeholder groupenter a name (“Whole House” or “Living Room”, etc.) and click Memorize.
Another way to increase the volume of your speakers is to use one as the left channel and the other as the right channel. Here’s how to create a pair of speakers On two (of the same) Google Home speakers. You’ll want to make sure you get Set up music services the right way, is very. And while you’re at it, consider installing a Google Home or Nest Mini on the wall for better sound.