Home sport Questions remain about the Canucks’ injury handling for Pearson

Questions remain about the Canucks’ injury handling for Pearson

by admin

“I’m just trying to get my hands back… I’m just trying to get home and be a dad and be with my kids and be able to play for the time being.”

When Tanner Pearson broke his hand on November 9 in a game against the Montreal Canadiens, he was frustrated but not too worried.

After all, his broken hand was even worse than before. In his second season with the Los Angeles Kings, Pearson slipped his feet in a game against the Winnipeg Jets and broke his leg. An injury ended his season, but he didn’t have to deal with the uncertainty of whether he would return to the ice in the future.

“I broke my bones. I missed six months,” Pearson said on Saturday. “I didn’t have the hiccups.”

4 to 6 weeks without a schedule

To say Pearson’s broken hand has had a handful of misses this season is a gross understatement. The injury that was expected to keep him out for four to six weeks has instead put his career in jeopardy as he has had multiple surgeries and no longer has a timetable for a potential return.

“I will try to be as positive as possible,” Pearson said. “There are definitely deadlines in my mind that I would like to meet. I hope we can do that and make everything better. But it is still a slow process with no set time or date.”

Just two weeks after breaking his hand, Pearson returned to the ice with stick in hand. Join the Canucks on their road trip in late November and skate ahead of games against the Colorado Avalanche and Vegas Golden Knights.

At the time, it seemed like a positive sign that Pearson was skating again so soon after his injury. Things seemed to be going well for him to get back to work. But that’s when things went wrong.

“Run the speed bumps” is all Pearson says on Saturday.

Pearson had to undergo a second surgery in early December, and ended his season for good in January. That’s when the NHLPA got involved, and questions were already being asked at the time whether he would be able to play next season.

“I think the people who need to know what’s going on know that.”

More eyebrows were raised when Quinn Hughes commented on the situation.

“I feel bad for him. I mean, he wasn’t handled very well, you know, it’s not a very good situation he’s put himself in, and I hope he’s OK,” Hughes said.

Hughes said Pearson’s injury “wasn’t handled properly,” prompting an internal investigation by the Canucks. After a thorough investigation of themselves, they discover that they did nothing wrong. The Canucks took the unprecedented step of holding a press conference with two of their medical staff, Representing Dr. Bill Regan and Dr. Harry Cice, to defend their treatment of the Pearson case — a press conference during which they adamantly refused to answer any questions about the Pearson case, which repeatedly cites confidentiality and confidentiality concerns. .

On Saturday, Pearson chose not to comment on how the Canucks have handled his injury.

“I will not share my personal opinions,” Pearson said. “I think the people who need to know what’s going on know that. I’m going to continue like this.”

As for how he felt about Hughes speaking, Pearson seemed appreciative.

“From a teammate’s point of view, you like to see a guy stand next to his teammate,” he said.

Two NHL insiders, Elliott Friedman and Darren Dreger, have hinted that Pearson may press charges against the Canucks if he fails to fully recover from his injury.

“If he doesn’t have the full mobility in that hand going forward—one hundred percent mobility—it’s going to interfere with his ability to be a good NHL player,” he said. Dreger said on the Sekeres and Price podcast. “If that is the case, then his future earnings are certainly in question. This is where the National Hockey League Players Association and the National Hockey League are involved and this is where the complaint gets more concrete.”

The outcry over a potential complaint, the NHLPA’s involvement, Hughes’ comments, and Pearson’s reluctance to even comment on how his injury was handled left questions unanswered. Although the Canucks’ internal investigation cleared them of any wrongdoing, something was still amiss.

What happened at the end of November between Pearson’s return to the ice holding his hand, and the moment he had to have a second operation on his left hand?

“I’m just trying to get home and be a dad and be with my kids”

As for what’s next for Pearson, he’s heading into the off-season with the intention of preparing for next season, though he’s not sure of his playing ability.

“I’m still treated this summer like I’m still a hockey player,” Pearson said. “I must, right?” Otherwise, I’d be really back behind the eighth ball. It’s going to be a really tough summer – I know, I’m ready for it. I’m starting to get back in the gym already. It’s really nice to be moving again. ” last. ”

Ultimately, the details of what went wrong, who is to blame, and whether a complaint will be filed in the future are secondary concerns. What Pearson longs for is a return to normalcy.

“I’m just trying to get my hands back,” Pearson said. “I’m just trying to get home, be a dad, be with my kids and be able to play for the time being. Sucks.”

Related News

Leave a Comment